By Enylee Modestino,
Skin 2 Skin® Skin Wellness Guest Contributor
The natural health community believes that vinegar provides several health benefits and low blood sugar and weight loss are some of them. Similarly, it is also believed that apple cider vinegar for acne is also an effective remedy. However, very little research is available in this area.
The human skin is naturally acidic. But, with regular use of skin products, the acidic mantle of the skin can be disrupted. The acidic mantle is responsible for providing a protective layer on the skin which fights all the bacteria and pollution.
Interestingly, apple cider vinegar is highly acidic in nature, and this is what makes it a powerful remedy against skin problems. It restores the pH level of the skin and aids the repair of its acidic mantle. Also, it kills the bacteria, removes harmful dirt, oil, makeup, and dead skin cells.
Did you know?
- Apple cider vinegar can kill several kinds of harmful bacteria. It has been used as a disinfectant to clean lice, fungus, and ear infections.
- Apple cider vinegar can bring down blood sugar levels and regulate insulin in the body. Thus, it has also been an effective remedy to fight Type 2 diabetes.
Why Vinegar For Acne?
Apple Cider Vinegar Kills Bacteria that can Cause Acne
One of the most important benefits of using apple cider vinegar for acne is that it can kill the root cause of the problem. Vinegar has been a popular remedy against many types of bacteria and viruses. Interestingly, vinegar has been seen to reduce certain types of bacteria by 90% and some viruses by 95%. The bacteria that causes acne is known as Propionibacterium acnes or P. acnes. Although there are not many studies to prove the effectiveness of apple cider vinegar in killing P. acnes, there are studies on the organic acids found in vinegar. Acetic, citric, lactic, and succinic are organic acids that are found in apple cider vinegar and have known to kill acne-causing bacteria.
Apple Cider Vinegar Reduces Acne Scars
The acne breakout can leave behind scars and discoloration. There have been studies that show the effects of organic acids found in apple cider vinegar in treating acne scars. Chemical peeling, or the process of applying these organic acids to the skin, dissolve the damaged, outer layer of the skin. It also boosts the generation of new skin. Chemical peeling that uses succinic acid has shown impressive results in reducing inflammation caused by P. acnes. This can also prevent scarring. Although the researches done to study the effects of organic acids on acne have shown impressive results, the effects of apple cider vinegar for acne scarring require some more exploration.
Interesting Facts about Apple Cider Vinegar
- Regular use of apple cider vinegar can reduce the risk of chronic disease and can improve your overall health. The antioxidant compound found in apple cider vinegar can help in reducing the risk of diabetes, cancer, and heart problems.
- Apple cider vinegar can bring down cholesterol levels. Its acidic nature can be linked to low cholesterol levels and preventing cardiovascular diseases.
So, is Vinegar Good for Acne?
The organic acids found in apple cider vinegar have been found to be an effective remedy for treating acne and preventing the appearance of acne scars. But the studies have not been as conclusive as they should be. Moreover, perhaps in the cases of severe acne, a more thought out treatment plan might be needed.
Also, it is important to note that direct application of the apple cider vinegar on the skin can cause burns and damage the skin. It can further be more harmful to people who have sensitive skin or have open wounds.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Acne?
As stated earlier, apple cider vinegar is highly acidic in nature. Thus, it must be diluted before applying it to the skin. Here is how you can apple cider vinegar for acne.
- Take one part of apple cider vinegar and mix it with 3 parts of water. For people with sensitive skin, adding more water is recommended
- Clean your face using a mild face wash and then pat dry
- Dampen a cotton ball into the apple cider vinegar mixture and then apply it gently on the affected areas
- Let it dry for 5 to 20 seconds
- Rinse it off with water and pat dry your face with a clean towel
- Do this at least 1-2 times in a day
Make sure that you only use organic apple cider vinegar that has “the mother”—a substance that can be clearly seen at the bottom of the bottle. This is the substance that carries all the important nutrients that make vinegar an effective natural remedy. Therefore, since “the mother” is the secret behind all the health benefits provided by vinegar, it is important that you make sure that your vinegar has this substance.
Although there is still a very large room for researches that should be done to determine the effects of apple cider vinegar on acne, there is still substantial evidence that makes its organic acids a remedy against acne and scars. But, one thing to note here is that since the current studies have been inconclusive, the effects of apple cider vinegar for acne may vary. *
*Nothing stated in this article is about a cure or a medical statement.