Why Cleansing Your Skin Twice Per Day is Important, and Selecting the Right Cleanser
As the creator behind an anti-aging skin care line, I am regularly explaining the importance of cleansing your face both in the morning and at night. A great cleanser is the foundation of a healthy skin care regimen, as well as a regular anti-aging solution to use at home. Cleansing is first step in keeping your skin looking healthy and as youthful as possible at any age.
Here are some benefits of cleansing your skin properly twice a day:
- It Removes Buildup such as dirt, bacteria, viruses, excess surface oil, pollutants, and dead skin. Without regular cleansing, your skin be can be covered with a thick layer of grime which makes it difficult for your skincare products to penetrate the skin properly on a regular basis.
- It Boosts Skin Hydration by managing pH levels, maintaining proper levels of hydration (relevant for pH balanced cleansers only).
- Clearer Skin is Maintained as your pores are cleared of debris to prevent dirt buildup, allowing sebum oil that keeps skin moisturized to reach the skin surface unimpeded; decreasing the chances of a breakouts.
- Proper Pore Size is maintained and the appearance of large pores is reduced.
- Proper Oil Production is encouraged, keeping the skin moisturized and preventing excess oil production.
- Your Anti-Aging Products Will Work Better. By regularly cleansing, you remove the barrier for proper penetration of the products, encouraging maximum benefits.
- Radiant and Healthy-Looking Skin; regular cleansing twice a day is essential
A great cleanser does more than just clean; it does so gently and effectively, unclogging pores, and removing makeup, dead skin cells, excess surface oil, bacteria, viruses, pollution, and preparing your skin to be receptive to the rest of your regimen. But that isn’t all! A great cleanser can brighten, calm, hydrate, mattify, and bring rich nutrients and antioxidants to your skin. Ultimately, you should love your cleanser so much you look forward to cleansing your skin twice a day.
After using a cleanser, your face should feel clean, soft and smooth, but not dry. Cleansers can be the root of skin problems if they contain harsh surfactants, petrochemicals, and harsh chemicals. Always avoid sulfates, including Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) as it strips the skin of its natural oils that our skin actually needs for protection. When the skin is stripped of its natural oils, the body overcompensates and produces more oil increasing the chances of clogged pores and breakouts.
Another common question I regularly get is: Do I need a toner if I already have a great cleanser? My answer is that if your current cleanser is sulfate free and pH balanced then no, you really don’t need a toner as your skin will be already prepared properly to receive your anti-aging products. If your cleanser contains sulfates, including a bar of soap, then you should add a toner to your regimen.
The skin care line I created is called Skin 2 Skin®. It’s a plant-powered, natural and anti-aging line with 10 different products, ranging from base cleaners such as a face wash, cleanser and mask, to anti-aging serums fighting wrinkles and signs of aging. Two of my favorites are the foundations of a strong skin care regimen: a face wash and exfoliating cleanser. They have all the benefits I’ve mentioned above, with none of the disadvantages.
White Tea Face Wash – Multi award winning cleanser that is pH balanced, and high in anti-oxidants and natural toners. It is made with Aloe Vera juice (not just water), 20 nutrition rich extracts, and natural fragrances of white tea, neroli, jasmine, orange, spearmint, lemon and bergamot. With a high concentration of glycerin, it also removes makeup and mascara.
AB-HA Exfoliating Cleanser – A rich, creamy and exfoliating cleanser that includes alpha hydroxy acids (AHA), glycolic, lactic, and beta hydroxy acid (BHA) salicylic. The AHA loosens the bond that holds skin cells together, resulting in the shedding of the top layer of dull and damaged skin. BHA not only exfoliates the upper layer of skin, but also penetrates deep through the epidermis to rid the dead skin cells and rid excess oil buildup in the pores. They also assist in improving the skin’s natural renewal process, brightening discoloration, and reducing lines and wrinkles. The jojoba beads provide a gentle and pleasant massage, and the cleanser has a natural citrus scent. This cleanser is developed for all skin types, with a recommended usage of twice per day on the face, neck, décolletage, shoulders, and back of hands, leaving the skin soft, smooth and hydrated.
By Kenneth Simpson
CEO, Chief Formulator and Co-Founder of Skin 2 Skin